Subject: Re: How do I properly add aliased IPs
To: None <>
From: Mark Saad <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/04/2006 12:40:26
   I tried that and here is what happens I am still scratching my head
on this one .

rc.conf snipet

ifconfig_fxp0=" netmask"
ifaliases_fxp0=" -"
ifaliases_fxp0=" -"

I then restart networking and this is what I get

jury# /etc/rc.d/network restart
Stopping network.
Deleting aliases.
ifconfig: SIOCDIFADDR: Can't assign requested address
Downing network interfaces: fxp0.

ifconfig -a shows me this

        address: 00:05:82:10:00:eb
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
        status: active
        inet netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
        inet alias netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
        inet6 fe80::205:82ff:fe10:eb%fxp0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

Juergen Hannken-Illjes wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 11:39:17AM -0400, Mark Saad wrote:
>> Hello All,
>> I was looking to see if someone could shed some light on an rc.conf
>> issue. How do you properly add aliased IPs .  The rc.conf way does not
>> appear to work for me. I am using a fxp card .
>> The NetBSD rc.conf way
>> ifaliases_${INTERFACE}="${ALIASED_IP} netmask -"
> [snip]
> man rc.conf gives:
>     ifaliases_*     A string.  List of `address netmask' pairs ...
> You should try "ifaliases_${INTERFACE}="${ALIASED_IP} -" without the
> "netmask" keyword.

Mark Saad