Subject: How do I properly add aliased IPs
To: None <>
From: Mark Saad <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/04/2006 11:39:17
Hello All,
 I was looking to see if someone could shed some light on an rc.conf
issue. How do you properly add aliased IPs .  The rc.conf way does not
appear to work for me. I am using a fxp card .

The NetBSD rc.conf way

ifaliases_${INTERFACE}="${ALIASED_IP} netmask -"

/etc/rc.d/network has the following comment . This is the only issue i
can find, but I wanted to know more.

       # Check if each configured interface xxN has an $ifaliases_xxN
       # associated, then configure additional IP addresses for that
       # The variable contains a list of "address netmask" pairs, with
       # "netmask" set to "-" if the interface default netmask is to be
       # Note that $ifaliases_xxN works only with certain configurations
       # considered not recommended.  Use /etc/ifconfig.xxN if possible.

Mark Saad