Subject: Re: problems connecting to
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <>
From: Quentin Garnier <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/03/2006 22:16:47

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 01:53:49PM -0500, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
> 	Has anyone else been having trouble connecting to
> I have one particular windows machine that can't get past the "230-" just
> after logging in.  Another machine, sitting right next to it, works just
> fine.
> 	I would chalk it up to something messed up with my machine, except
> that it can connect to many other ftp servers.  e.g. most netbsd mirrors
> work ok, but several don't:,,

Usually that has to do with MTU and/or badly configured proxies
(transparent or not).  I remember helping out a fellow developer a few
years ago;  turned out the proxy wanted packets to begin with an FTP
response code on the command channel.  Or maybe it wanted all packets to
end with a newline, something like that.  Making /etc/issue Just The
Right Size made it work.

The reason behind it is that the packet that follows the 230- line is as
big as it can get;  1500 bytes.  Sometimes the link doesn't support such
a big packet, for some reason.

So check MTU, MSS negociation, proxies, stuff like that.

Quentin Garnier - -

Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (NetBSD)