Subject: Serial Cons com0/i386/3.0/dell 1650
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/09/2006 14:33:33
I'm trying to set up a Dell 1650 with serial console.  The bios is set to
use com0,vt100,disabled (Disabled means to get out of the way once the
bootloader is called).  All of that works fine, I see the system boot.

Once the system has booted, I never get a console login on com0.  Yes, I get
all the kernel booting info including:

com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo
com0: console
com1 at isa0 port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3: ns16550a, working fifo
intr_establish: pic pic0 pin 3: can't share type 3 with 2

which shows the bootloader is passing it off to the console correctly.  I do
not have CONS_OVERRIDE set, nor a CONS device in the kernel.  The kernel is
essentially GENERIC plus bigger NMBCLUSTERS, IPSEC, etc.
With "wscons=YES" I atleast get a console login after it boots on the
physical console.  With it "NO" I get no getty/login from com0 or console.

My /etc/ttys looks like:
console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure
ttyE0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure
ttyE1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure
ttyE2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure
ttyE3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure

I fiddled with ttyE0 but that didn't seem to make any difference.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

peter