Subject: RE: (s)hell quoting (s)hell
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Schwerzmann, Stephan <stephan.schwerzmann@schmid-telecom.ch>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/02/2006 11:13:07

thanks Matthew, but this does not help.

there is a difference between  echo ${var}  and  ${var}  !!!

$ TOOL=3D'find . -name "" '
$ echo $TOOL
find . -name ""
$ set -x ; ${TOOL} ; set +x
+ find . -name '""'
+ set +x
$

continuing on this, it seems that  eval  might help me

$ set -x ; eval "${TOOL}" ; set +x
+ eval 'find . -name "" '
++ find . -name ''
+ set +x
$

well, the dbl.quotes get _replaced_ by single quotes,=20
which seems to be equivalent and not to trouble further.

I have to see wheter I can deploy that in my script,
but I'm not happy: this involves the discipline to think=20
about and decide whether an eval is necessary bevore a=20
command.
I don't like to run a collection of variants for how commands=20
need to be called...
then using eval systematically at every command call feels
clumsy saying the least.

 - - -

I'll throw an eye on that "Unix Power Tools" book.

For s'hell'ish things I mostly use
	<http://www.unix.org.ua/orelly/unix/ksh/index.htm>
	<http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/>

Stephan