Subject: Re: RAIDframe: notify me when a drive fails?
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/28/2006 10:31:55
Geert Hendrickx writes:
> Hi,
>
> can I configure raidframe to "do something" (e.g. send out an e-mail) when
> one of the drives goes bad?  Otherwise my RAID-1 is only good in theory...

There's nothing currently in RAIDframe to handle that...  If you
havn't turned off "check_disks" in /etc/daily.conf, then the daily
script will contain a note about any failed components.... (of
course, one then needs to actually *read* those emails :-} )

Alternately, just use the relevant bits from /etc/daily to setup a
cron job to monitor more frequently, if desired.

(more integrated solutions are certainly welcome -- I've had
volunteers to work on a "raid monitoring daemon", but that was some
number of years ago now, and nothing came of it. :( )

Later...

Greg Oster