Subject: Re: Problem with ex0
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/24/2006 22:08:02
2006/2/24, Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 07:50:13AM -0800, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
>
> > ifconfig -m ex0
> >
> > should give a list of media types supported by your card.
>
> It hadn't any media support... :]  ("none").
>
> > You may also want to check that a PHY attached, since the 3c905B is a f=
ast
> > ethernet card.  The fact that 'auto' doesn't work is often indicative o=
f a
> > missing/wrong phy.
>
> I had to uncomment a "exphy*" line in the kernel config ("3COM media PHYs=
"),
> and rebuild the kernel. It works now.

exphy is on by default in the GENERIC* kernels. I have found the
desire to "optimize" it by taking out the unused drivers to often lead
to waste of time - one's and others. I stick as close as possible to
the relevant GENERIC* configuration. The megabyte one will lose due to
redundant drivers is probably of no significance  if the physical
memory is more than a quarter of a gigabyte. Sure if one is preparing
embedded or old system, one has to squeeze the last byte...

It's a bit extreme, indeed, but you may have noticed the OpenBSD guys
don't tend to answer questions about bugs unless they are on a
GENERIC* kernel.

> --
>                                 pozdrawiam / regards
>
>                                                 Zbigniew Baniewski