Subject: Re: Problem with ex0
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/24/2006 13:53:26
On Jul 17, 11:11am, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:
}
} When changing hdd, I've replaced network adaptor too. And it caused another
} problem: system is unable to configure card at the boot-time. It says:
}
} ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Invalid argument
}
} Googling around I've found, that it's caused by selecting improper media
} type for the adaptor. I was using old ISA-adaptor 3C509TP before, which has
} been replaced with 3C905B.
}
} Both cards are using 10baseT - but I tried to write into /etc/ifconfig.ex0
} the others: "auto", "autoselect", "100baseTX" - without any positive
} result.

     Don't bother setting any media type.  It will almost always do
the right thing by itself.

} So, what exactly for media type is supported by 3C905B? The card is
} properly recognized at boottime - but just cannot be configured. Man page
} for "ex" is very spartan - nothing interesting there.

     ifconfig -m will tell you what media types are available.  See the
ifconfig manpage for more details on configuring interfaces.

}-- End of excerpt from Zbigniew Baniewski