Subject: Re: NetBSD's swap partition ID
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/24/2006 13:50:33
On Jul 17, 11:00am, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:
} On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 08:41:23AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
}
} > my opinion is that on an i386 one should use the fdisk partition table to
} > make life easier.
}
} My problem was, that I wanted to have 3 OS-es on the disk: FreeDOS, Linux
} (together with swap it makes 2 more partitions), and NetBSD.

     This is easily done since Linux can use extended partitions.

} Yes, I was able to use disklabel - although I can't understand the
} benefits(?) of such additional complication. What for? Just because a long
} time ago in such way it was made on the PDP-11?

     It simplifies things since it makes PCs look more like every other
system that runs unix.  This simplifies coding of the way partitions
are handled and system administration for people that have experience
with other platforms.  Also, a disklabel contains more information then
what can be put into an MBR.

     And, traditionally, this is the way that it was done on the PC as
well.  Look at the various SCO products for instance.  Linux is
basically the odd man out here, which makes life awkward for people
that also work with other systems.

     Does anybody know how Solaris X86 does it?

}-- End of excerpt from Zbigniew Baniewski