Subject: Re: NetBSD's swap partition ID
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/24/2006 16:38:07
On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 04:24:42PM +0100, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:
> Yes, I was able to use disklabel - although I can't understand the
> benefits(?) of such additional complication.

It's not more complex, it's easier!  You can always install NetBSD inside
one DOS-style partition (in fact, NetBSD doesn't care about those DOS-style
partitions at all).  This doesn't matter much in NetBSD-only installations,
but it does in multi-boot installs: you don't have to "waste" partitions
for additional filesystems or swap-space like you have to with Linux.

> What for? Just because a long time ago in such way it was made on the
> PDP-11?

Also because it's more portable than DOS/BIOS-style partitions.

	Geert