Subject: Re: NetBSD's swap partition ID
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/24/2006 10:31:23
In message <20060224152442.GA2498@ispid.com.pl>, Zbigniew Baniewski writes:
>On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 08:41:23AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
>> my opinion is that on an i386 one should use the fdisk partition table to
>> make life easier.
>
>My problem was, that I wanted to have 3 OS-es on the disk: FreeDOS, Linux
>(together with swap it makes 2 more partitions), and NetBSD.

And the problem was?  (Or did you just want to use a single swap area
for all three?)

>Yes, I was able to use disklabel - although I can't understand the
>benefits(?) of such additional complication. What for? Just because a long
>time ago in such way it was made on the PDP-11?

Not all platforms that NetBSD runs on support fdisk.  Besides, until
recently you were limited to four fdisk partitions, which was a
nuisance for NetBSD.

The right answer is a program that can read fdisk labels and generate
NetBSD label data.  It shouldn't be too hard to write, either.