Subject: Re: 8 button mouse (mighty mouse) seen as 6 buttons only ?
To: Gilbert Fernandes <gilbert.fernandes@spamcop.net>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus200602@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/22/2006 22:27:20
Gilbert Fernandes writes:
> > What does xev say about the up-down scroll wheel?  Is it by chance on
> > buttons 7 and 8?  If so, you can just invert the 5-6 and 7-8 pair in
> > the zaxismapping.
>
> It says nothing.
>
> That's why I posted. I have edited my XF86Config to tell XFree the
> mouse has 8 buttons. Then I tried to use xev to see if there were
> any events produced for scrolling up or down the little button on
> the mouse. Nothing happens.

I vaguely recall that something like that happened when I first got my
Logitech MX510 (scroll-wheel and 5 extra buttons).  There were a few
button masks lurking in various programs that clipped at some slightly
too low a number.  One of them was down in ums.c
(/usr/src/sys/dev/usb/ums.c:#define MAX_BUTTONS ... ) and the other
was in twm (and isn't important at this point.)  Is MAX_BUTTONS higher
than you need?

I recall putting a bunch of printfs in there to track down what was
going on.

-wolfgang