Subject: Re: mythtv and netbsd?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Dieter <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/14/2006 11:13:23
> I confess I have no idea what pieces we're missing.
> Drivers for the tuner cards?

Drivers for tuner cards are definitely lacking in BSD-land.  :-(

Analog TV broadcasts are mandated to go away soon, so I
don't see any point in getting an analog-only card.
I could only find one card (HD-3000) that could receive
digital signals and had any sort of Unix driver, and
that was for Linux.  :-(

> For the video cards?

Some people are working on a free/open source graphics
card.  Plan is to support dual-link DVI, TV-out,
sync-on-green.  It isn't ready yet.

Most graphics card reviews only consider gaming, not
video (television).  There was a thread recently on
slashdot about video.  Word is that ATI is much better
for video than Nvidea, both on wintel and Linux,
including free/open source drivers.  I didn't see any
mention of BSD.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/01/31/1920214

I'm currently converting video to DV format and have FreeBSD
ship it out firewire to a DV camcorder, which does the D/A
and ships it to the TV via a s-video cable.

Once the LCD reviews stop complaining about how bad video
looks on them, and the prices come down, I'll go shopping
for a LCD that can display 1080p.