Subject: Re: mythtv and netbsd?
To: Michael Parson <mparson@bl.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/14/2006 11:23:13
In message <20060214155438.GA19804@bl.org>, Michael Parson writes:
>On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 12:21:55AM -0800, John Nemeth wrote:
>> On Jul 6,  6:20pm, David Rio Deiros wrote:
>> } On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 11:14:41PM -0500, Nonesuch wrote:
>> } > The better option IMHO is to get a Tivo if you want to watch tv like
>> } > that.
>> }
>> } Can you easily have access to the recorded files from your machine if
>> } you have Tivo? I mean, can you get the recorded programs from your desktop
>> } in an easy way?
>>
>>      Yes.  Modern Tivos have ethernet cards and web servers.  You can
>> view programs, tell it what to record, etc.
>
>And the TiVo2Go service lets you download programs to your desktop (and
>transfer them back, should you want to).  If you get one of the units
>with a DVD burner built in, you also get that option.

My problem with TiVo, other than that it isn't as much fun, is that
it's a service: you pay for it on an ongoing basis, they have the right
and the ability (which they've exercised) to change the features on
your device, and -- most important -- they can monitor what you watch.

I'm not trying to start a privacy flame fest on this list; I do want
to explain why "just buy a TiVo" is not the right answer for me.  And
I'm not relying on legends; I went and checked the TiVo privacy policy
and service agreement just now to make sure they hadn't fixed the bugs.
http://www.tivo.com/5.11.2.asp
http://www.tivo.com/5.11.3.asp