Subject: Re: specifics of PostgreSQL superuser account
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/14/2006 09:56:28
On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 11:30:26AM +0100, stefan@net-tex.de wrote:
> How did you install PostgreSQL? From pkgsrc? The pkgsrc packages
> automatically add pgsql as user and group:
>
> stefan@kusanagi$ groupinfo pgsql
> name    pgsql
> passwd  *
> gid     1001
> members pgsql
> stefan@kusanagi$ userinfo pgsql
> login   pgsql
> passwd  *************
> uid     1001

I'm not sure how to interpret the output of "userinfo", but it appears
to me that user "pgsql" has a password (as probably should be since
"pgsql" has a login shell).  Does pkgsrc set some default password, or
is that done later by the system administrator?  I'm also curious about
the uid of 1001.  I already have a user with that uid; does that mean
pkgsrc would search for an available uid above 1001, e.g., 1002, 1003,
..., until it finds one open?  (Personally, I prefer uid's in the 5000
range for programs I install myself that need a user:group.  Bad practice
maybe?)

> HTH,

Yes, the information was VERY helpful and got me going.  Thank you very much.

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba.kcn.ne.jp/~home/