Subject: Re: mythtv and netbsd?
To: Steven Sartorius <ssartor@bellatlantic.net>
From: Brian McEwen <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/13/2006 22:24:28

On Feb 13, 2006, at 8:02 PM, Steven Sartorius wrote:

> By dint of experience I've found that MythTV works best with a
> hardware MPEG2 compression card (like a Hauppauge PVR-250 or, in my
> case, an Aver Media M179) and a video card with TV-out that uses
> XvMC, which pretty much narrows the field to Nvidia (I have a
> GeForce4 MX 440).  It is possible to run MythTV with a software
> capture card (like the Brooktree/Conexant that is supported under
> NetBSD) but the results are spotty and you need a reasonably
> powerful CPU (which equals noise -- a no-no for a living room based
> box).  I briefly looked at seeing if I could port the Linux ivtv
> drivers (for hardware capture cards) to NetBSD but quickly realized
> I had neither the time nor the skill!  In addition, as far as I
> know, Nvidia supplies drivers that only work with Linux and I don't
> believe these would work under Linux emulation.  In short, as much
> as it would be nice to have MythTV run on a nice sane, stable
> NetBSD box I don't think we're there yet...
>

> Steve

My PVR experiences:

I'm using a PVR-350 (on XP sorry but DVD authoring was easier): rule
of thumb for CPU needs,  is if you have hardware mpeg-2 compression,
you can get by with a 700- 800MHz CPU (or faster)- there will only be
about 5% CPU load if you avoid the software mpeg compression.  Also
should avoid VIA chipset mainboards, although there is a patch to
help, the VIA chipset will be laggy.

I have the  MX400 card as well but don't like the video-out as well
from it as that from the 350 itself; although using the TV-out on the
350 limits software menu display a little (I use gbpvr, which does
have better support than other solutions).

I looked into the netbsd/MythTV solution as well but it didn't look
easy to do/ not completely supported/hard to tell my wife how to take
clips from PBS programs to use clips in her teaching as either mpeg
or DVD-R (the last was a major issue!).

Brian