Subject: Re: mythtv and netbsd?
To: Steven M.Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Steven Sartorius <ssartor@bellatlantic.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/13/2006 20:02:16
By dint of experience I've found that MythTV works best with a
hardware MPEG2 compression card (like a Hauppauge PVR-250 or, in my
case, an Aver Media M179) and a video card with TV-out that uses
XvMC, which pretty much narrows the field to Nvidia (I have a
GeForce4 MX 440).  It is possible to run MythTV with a software
capture card (like the Brooktree/Conexant that is supported under
NetBSD) but the results are spotty and you need a reasonably powerful
CPU (which equals noise -- a no-no for a living room based box).  I
briefly looked at seeing if I could port the Linux ivtv drivers (for
hardware capture cards) to NetBSD but quickly realized I had neither
the time nor the skill!  In addition, as far as I know, Nvidia
supplies drivers that only work with Linux and I don't believe these
would work under Linux emulation.  In short, as much as it would be
nice to have MythTV run on a nice sane, stable NetBSD box I don't
think we're there yet...

Steve