Subject: Re: PCI card orientation (was: Re: supported 3.3V PCI cards (sound and TV))
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Dieter <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/11/2006 09:12:46
> Next question on PCI boards: the soekris 4801 PCI slot is oriented so
> that the PCI boards I insert in it has the external connectors oriented
> to the rear pannel. The electronics is also oriented on the opposite
> side as the soekris main board.
>
> There are some PCI boards that are correctly oriented (e.g.: some quad
> port ethernet boards). How are the different board orientation called? I
> thought the orientation reflected the 3.3V vs 5V difference, but I now
> believe it's wrong.

Unless you have a very very strange setup, the external connectors go
to the rear panel.

If the keying does not allow you to insert the card so that the
external connectors go to the rear panel, you have a compatibility problem.

http://hsi.web.cern.ch/HSI/s-link/devices/s32pci64/slottypes.html
http://www.acme.com/build_a_pc/pci_types.html
http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_PCI_Pins.html