Subject: more info (was: postgresql won't terminate)
To: <>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/10/2006 12:22:26
--------------enig35759AEC698B8BC70B43BF51

Jan Danielsson wrote:
>    Running postgresql 8.0.5 on NetBSD/i386 3.0. When I run
> "/etc/rc.d/pgsql stop", it complains that /var/pgsql/data/postmaster.pi=
> does not exist. It doesn't exist, and it doesn't exist in /var/run
> either. In fact, the only way to kill it is via "kill" using root.

   Ok; I reinstalled postgresql, and now I can terminate it sometimes.
But now there's a new REALLY big annoyance.

   When I boot up the machine, it reinitializes the database in
/usr/pkg/pgsql, even though I have set pgsql_home to /var/pgsql.

   If I shut down postgresql, remove all traces of the database files in
/usr/pkg/pgsql, then restart it via "/etc/rc.d/pgsql start", then it
properly uses "/var/pgsql". Until nex time I reboot, that is. :-(

   So somehow it is aware of that it booting up, and then it forces the
use of /usr/pkg/pgsql, which doesn't make sence in any way I can see it.

Anyone know how to fix this?

--=20
Kind Regards,
Jan Danielsson
Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.