Subject: [davidw@fairadsl.co.uk: Re: um32w!]
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Justin R. Pessa <jstn@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2006 18:42:01
--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm

Folks,

I wanted to send this to the list for those that are having problems
with your Sharp UM32W laptops. Here is a possible fix.

Best,

Justin

----- Forwarded message from Dave <davidw@fairadsl.co.uk> -----

From: "Dave" <davidw@fairadsl.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 15:17:45 -0000
To: "Justin R. Pessa" <jstn@sdf.lonestar.org>
Subject: Re: um32w!

hey!

i thot it seemed a bit more than just static - i could get it fairly=20
consistently - more like a current than just static electricity to be=20
honest, if i left my elbow on the laptop and on any earth, i found i could=
=20
feel the 'shock' almost constantly :(

i'm pretty sure it was a screw which was causing a short across the=20
motherboard/graphics card - either way, i masked up virtually all the screw=
=20
holes and the entire motherboard (just to be sure and i've had no trouble=
=20
with mine at all!

it might just be me, but i'm also pretty sure my battery lasts longer (i=20
used it for a LONG time today (i usually get <1 hour out of it, and i used=
=20
it for over an hour today and i still have some charge left (fairly=20
intensive too - extracting zip files and games - worms armageddon!).

other than that, (and the crashing stopping) its not powered down once and=
=20
i've never seen the capslock+numlock or numlock+scrolllock blinking at all =
-=20
i had the gfx card bug out once, but it was using some very old software -=
=20
which also caused a similar problem on my desktop (VPU recover saved the=20
desktop tho).

also, jsut to be clear - i removed several screws and didnt replace them (a=
s=20
i had no way of insulating them, i currently have arond 20 screws from=20
inside it which i removed (laptop still functions perfectly, and it doesnt=
=20
rattle or anything, just minimal number of screws (none from base of laptop=
=20
(going from outside to inside) are in use atm tho.

also, be sure to insulate the metal cover which conceals the mini-pci devic=
e=20
(lan/wifi) as this could short out.

seriously hope this helps someone out there!

Dave
----- Original Message -----=20