Subject: Re: postgresql won't terminate
To: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2006 19:15:26
--------------enig4E6A7997101CC2DE0CED3BF1

Ben Collver wrote:
> What does the following command output?
>=20
> pkg_info -B postgresql80-server | grep ^PG

PGSQL_BLCKSZ=3D
PGUSER=3Dpgsql
PGGROUP=3Dpgsql
PGHOME=3D/usr/pkg/pgsql

Hm... Concerning PGHOME, see below.

> It looks like pkgsrc/postgresql80-server/files/pgsql.sh aka rc.d/pgsql
> looks for the PID file in the data subdirectory of the PGUSER home
> directory.  Is your PGUSER home directory the same path as $PGHOME/data=
?

What I have done is:
1) Enter the databases/postgres80 directory
2) make install && make clean-depends && make clean
3) copy the sample rc.d pgsql to /etc/rc.d/
4) Added

pgsql=3DYES
pgsql_flags=3D"-i"
pgsql_home=3D"/var/pgsql"

=2E. to rc.conf.

5) /etc/rc.d/pgsql start

   I assume that pgsql_home will override PGHOME, because it does in
fact store all its files there.

> The Makefile defaults PGHOME to ${PREFIX}/${PGUSER}.  I assume /var is
> not your ${PREFIX}.  How did you override PGHOME?

   If that requires some manual intervention, then I haven't overridden
it, to the best of my knowledge.

>Does PGHOME exist?

   Hmm... I assume you mean that this is an environment variable.. I
must ask; in which context do you mean?

> Have you stored data in postgres yet?  Did you see anything interesting=

> in /var/pgsql/errlog?

   The stop command is the only thing that is misbehaving. I have used
postgresql a lot; it works great. And the database files are in fact
stored in /var/pgsql. No errors in errlog apart from expected errors
(when I terminated a query prematurely, etc).

   So, it seems that the only problem is the "/etc/rc.d/pgsql stop"
command -- everything else works like a charm.

--=20
Kind Regards,
Jan Danielsson
Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.