Subject: Re: Really bad performance when doing newfs
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Alexander Bernauer <netbsd@copton.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/04/2006 17:46:09
On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:19:40PM -0600, Johan A.van Zanten wrote:
> (Are there even cooked devices for drives in Linux?)

Linux does not distinguish between raw and block devices.

Actually, since I'm new to *BSD, I was wondering what the difference is.

What I've found till now is that block devices are cached and raw
devices are not. Since former caused problems FreeBSD kicked them. [1]

Is there any advantage on having this distinction? Do block devices
cause the same problems on NetBSD as they did on FreeBSD?

No offence, I'm realy interested.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/arch-handbook/driverbasics-block.html

cu

--