Subject: Re: Really bad performance when doing newfs
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Johan A.van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/03/2006 19:19:40
Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 05:05:18AM -0700, Andy Ruhl wrote:
> > On 2/2/06, Jeff Rizzo <riz@netbsd.org> wrote:
> > > What newfs command line did you use?  Were you using the block device
> > > instead of the raw, by any chance?
> >
> > It was the block device... I thought newfs chose the raw device no matter what?
> >
> > newfs /dev/wd3a
>
> "Unix gives you enough rope."

 Not that this is anything to which one should really aspire, but modern
incarnations of Solaris automatically use the raw device, even if you
supply the cooked.  I don't have access to a Linux machine where i can
verify it, but i suspect mkfs will also silently select a raw device.
(Are there even cooked devices for drives in Linux?)

 -johan