Subject: Really bad performance when doing newfs
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/02/2006 20:07:26
Hello all.

I searched on this a little but didn't find much.

I'm trying to newfs a 300 gig Seagate ATA100 disk with default
settings. it's all formatted as 1 partition. The machine is 2.0.2 (3.0
soon) i386 dual CPU Celeron 500. The disk controller is a Maxtor
(Promise) ATA133 PCI card with 4 disks on it. The 300 gig disk is
doing nothing else, and it's even on the channel that doesn't get much
use.

I/O for the machine was really bad, my web server on it was crawling.
I stopped the newfs after 6 hours and it hadn't finished.

Any suggestions other than taking it out and putting it in my amd64
3.0 machine and formatting it there? It seems like it shouldn't take
that long, but I really don't know what to expect.

Thanks!

Andy