Subject: Re: KDE pkg install
To: Brian Asemi <asemisldkfj@gmail.com>
From: David W. Talmage <talmage@onespeeddave.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/01/2006 22:01:44

I went through all of that for years.  Then I learned about pkg_comp.   T=
hat helped a lot because it builds packages without disrupting your enjoy=
ment of your computer.

After a couple of years of that, I got tired of waiting for pkg_comp.  I =
decided that I wanted my computer to be more of an appliance and less of =
a hobby, so when NetBSD 3.0 came out, I gave up pkg_comp.  Now, I just us=
e the binary packages on ftp.netbsd.org.  It's such a joy to not have to =
wait around for packages to build.  They just install!  My new best frien=
d is

sudo pkg_add -u -u ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc-2005Q4=
/NetBSD-3.0/i386/All/$PACKAGENAME.tgz

That's the way it should be.  Packages Just Install.  Things Just Work.

David Talmage