Subject: Re: LFS troubles
To: Gabor Nyeki <bigmac@vim.hu>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/31/2006 12:05:18
On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 05:14:54PM +0100, Gabor Nyeki wrote:
> Dear Fellows,
>
> I've been experiencing a kind of tough trouble with LFS today because I
> made the mistake to store some more or less important information on the
> additional HDD, which carried an LFS for testing purposes.
>   Today the mounted LFS partition disappeared while the system was up and
> running. After reboot, it asked for manual fsck, first. Manual fsck failed
> with 'Device not configured.'  At next boot, it gave another kind of
> error.
>
>   Now the kernel cries like this for pages:
> wd2a: error reading fsbn 11725824 of 11725824-11725839 (wd2 bn 11725824;
> cn 11632 tn 12 sn 12), retrying

As the "Device not configured" and other disk errors make clear, this isn't
a problem with NFS; it is a hardware problem with the disk drive, controller,
or cabling.  Most likely you have a disk drive with failed mechanicals but
a controller that is still responding to (some) commands on the bus.

Thor