Subject: LFS troubles
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Gabor Nyeki <bigmac@vim.hu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/31/2006 17:14:54
Dear Fellows,

I've been experiencing a kind of tough trouble with LFS today because I
made the mistake to store some more or less important information on the
additional HDD, which carried an LFS for testing purposes.
   Today the mounted LFS partition disappeared while the system was up and
running. After reboot, it asked for manual fsck, first. Manual fsck failed
with 'Device not configured.'  At next boot, it gave another kind of
error.

   Now the kernel cries like this for pages:
wd2a: error reading fsbn 11725824 of 11725824-11725839 (wd2 bn 11725824;
cn 11632 tn 12 sn 12), retrying
wd2: (uncorrectable data error)
wd2a: error reading fsbn 11725824 of 11725824-11725839 (wd2 bn 11725824;
cn 11632 tn 12 sn 12), retrying
wd2: (uncorrectable data error)

   At boot, fsck tries to do something but fails.  When I try to manually
fsck it, I get the following stuff:
concorde# fsck_lfs /dev/rwd2a
** /dev/rwd2a
Superblock magic number (0x0) does not match expected 0x70162
** File system is clean; not checking
concorde#

   Now WTF. Can't I somehow recover this superblock magic number thing?
After all, fsck_lfs seems to know what should be there, only it can't do
anything besides checking.

   I would really appreciate some help to bring this partition back to
life!

Thanks in advance,
Gabor Nyeki.

---