Subject: Re: no qualified "domainname" set
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <pino@dohd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/30/2006 19:30:48
It occurred to me that Marc Coevoet wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.general:
> I try to use tin, knews and it says this ..
>
> Domainname is set to  "fulladsl.be"
> What is worng, I even put it in
>
> /etc/domainname ..

Well, first of all, /etc/domainname isn't used (It's either the 'domainname'
variable in rc.conf, or /etc/defaultdomain). Secondly, 'domainname' isn't
what you think it is. It's used for YP or NIS domain lookups, and isn't
what you need.

Your hostname is wrong according to tin. It's probably set to a single word,
instead of a "fully qualified domain name" - which is a hostname including all
domains up to the top level domain. Tin tries to construct a mail address using
username@hostname. For that to work, the hostname needs to be 'fully
qualified'; unique on the internet. So it would have to be something
like 'something.fulladsl.be'. But you probably don't want to receive your
mail directly on your NetBSD host - you probably want it delivered to
your ISP.

If you want tin to use a different e-mail address than
username@something.fulladsl.be, you'll have to explicitly configure it to
do so. See the tin manual page. IIRC there's a mail_address option for this;
but do check the manual page yourself, it's been several years since I've used
tin. Tin (And knews, which is not to be confused with knode) aren't exactly the
latest and greatest in terms of newsreaders.

--
    Martijn van Buul - pino@dohd.org - http://www.stack.nl/~martijnb/
	 Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333