Subject: Re: can no longer login on netbsd3.0/ i386
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <pino@dohd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/29/2006 21:40:16
It occurred to me that Marc Coevoet wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.general:

> root passwd is set ...
>
> I tried it several times: return does not move to the next line...

Hang on, I'm smelling something here.

You said you've been editing /etc/ttys, enabling everything you could find.

In that case, you probably enabled both /dev/console and /dev/ttyE0. They are
mutally exclusive. I suggest you disable one - disabling /dev/console is
probably the best choice if you're using virtual terminals, as you'll end up
running into problems with /dev/console once you enable xdm anyway.

> enter does ....

Err, what mystery keyboard do you have that it has both a 'return' and
an 'enter' key, that even behave differently?

>> You do want ssh; you just haven't realised it. Unless you're running on
>> *really* old machines, using ssh isn't much of a problem
>>
> I do not know ssh ...

Now might be a good time to learn it.

> and my local network is not interested in it ...

Are networks sentient beings these days? Fancy.

> Me, nor my comp is that important ...  that somebody would be
> interested ...

You don't understand it. The fact that you don't seem to care about your
own security or safety makes your computer a prime target for *a lot* of
people, because it makes your computer the ideal stepping stone for their
real intended purpose - be it spamming, be it cracking an *interesting* site
while putting the blame on you: You name it.

Ah well, it's your decision, in the end.

--
    Martijn van Buul - pino@dohd.org - http://www.stack.nl/~martijnb/
	 Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333