Subject: Re: can no longer login on netbsd3.0/ i386
To: Martijn van Buul <pino+gmane_os_netbsd_general@dohd.org>
From: Marc Coevoet <marcsje@fulladsl.be>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/29/2006 22:22:53
Op 29-jan-06 om 22:13 heeft Martijn van Buul het volgende geschreven:

> It occurred to me that Marc Coevoet wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.general:
>> single user runs, but when I try login, it always goes wrong after
>> passwd, it even kind off freezes ;;...
>
> "kind of freezes"? What do you mean by that? What does "it goes wrong"
> imply? Do you get an error message? (if so, PLEASE copy it here!).
>
> I'm probably stating the obvious, but:
>
> 1) Do you have a (root)password set? Is it possible that you mis-typed
> it,
>    making the computer think it's something different? If in doubt, try
>    resetting it in single-user mode (You'll need to do something like

root passwd is set ...

I tried it several times: return does not move to the next line...

enter does ....

and even after ?? 10 mins no next login after 2 times passwd, I can
wait for  hours???

>    mount /
>    mount /usr
>    passwd
>
>    to set it ). What you describe as "kind of freezes" might very well
>    be the login delay. If you enter a wrong password, login will delay
>    further attempts by a few seconds. If you enter the wrong password
> again,
>    this delay gets longer, etc.

more than 10mins ??  and the return doesn t move to the next line ...

> 2) Are you aware that, AFAIK, remote root logins are disallowed ? They
>    would be too grave a security risk. You need a "mortal" user
> account,
>    and add it to the 'wheel' group in /etc/groups. After that, you can
>    use login using your mortal user and 'su' to root.
>
>> NO SSH !!!
>
> You do want ssh; you just haven't realised it. Unless you're running on
> *really* old machines, using ssh isn't much of a problem

I do not know ssh ...
and my local network is not interested in it ...

Me, nor my comp is that important ...  that somebody would be
interested ...

Marc