Subject: Re: can no longer login on netbsd3.0/ i386
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <pino@dohd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/29/2006 21:13:45
It occurred to me that Marc Coevoet wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.general:
> single user runs, but when I try login, it always goes wrong after
> passwd, it even kind off freezes ;;...

"kind of freezes"? What do you mean by that? What does "it goes wrong"
imply? Do you get an error message? (if so, PLEASE copy it here!).

I'm probably stating the obvious, but:

1) Do you have a (root)password set? Is it possible that you mis-typed it,
   making the computer think it's something different? If in doubt, try
   resetting it in single-user mode (You'll need to do something like

   mount /
   mount /usr
   passwd

   to set it ). What you describe as "kind of freezes" might very well
   be the login delay. If you enter a wrong password, login will delay
   further attempts by a few seconds. If you enter the wrong password again,
   this delay gets longer, etc.

2) Are you aware that, AFAIK, remote root logins are disallowed ? They
   would be too grave a security risk. You need a "mortal" user account,
   and add it to the 'wheel' group in /etc/groups. After that, you can
   use login using your mortal user and 'su' to root.

> NO SSH !!!

You do want ssh; you just haven't realised it. Unless you're running on
*really* old machines, using ssh isn't much of a problem

--
    Martijn van Buul - pino@dohd.org - http://www.stack.nl/~martijnb/
	 Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333