Subject: Confused with SATA drives, drivers and chipsets
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Thomas <thomas.s.mark@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/28/2006 11:56:41
Does anyone have some tips on what to look for when purchasing
mainboards with sata? Like what chipsets control the sata drives, what
device drivers to use. I'm want to build a new server which will run
netbsd 3 but all this sata stuff is hurting my head. For instance, I'm
looking at the intel se7221bk1-e and the docs say that ICH6R I/O
controller is part of the E7221 chipset, do I need to look for E7221
or ICH6R support on http://netbsd.org/Hardware/ ? I'm not looking for
a raid solution but all of these boards have some type of raid
controller, how does that play into the equation?

I truly hope I'm not the only one confused by this sata stuff! *grin*

Thanks for any help at all.

--
 _
( ) Mark Thomas     ASCII ribbon campaign