Subject: Re: fstab and fs_passno
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/27/2006 19:31:58
Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 11:45:06AM -0500, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>> Is it legal to define fs_passno>2 for unimportant filesystems in
>> /etc/fstab, or are 0, 1 and 2 the only legal values?

As far as I know, pass #'s are limited by the shell or /bin/expr to whatever
fits into a long, which is much larger than just 0 - 2.  :-)

> I have another (related) question: is it possible to disable parallellism
> for fsck at boot-time?  fsck will scan filesystems in parallel when they're
> on different devices (to speed things up), but also when a filesystem is
> e.g. on a cgd (on the same physical disk).  This is of course not optimal;
> can I disable it?  (I know -current has -P, but 3.0 hasn't.)

Fsck normally will only try to work in parallel if two or more filesystems have
the same pass number.  If you give the cgd or whatever volumes different pass
numbers, they will be considered sequentially in ascending pass number order.

--
-Chuck