Subject: Re: practical RAIDframe questions
To: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/27/2006 12:28:03
Ben Collver wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 10:32:30AM +1100, Simon Burge wrote:
> > I use a separate raid device for each partition - here that's root,
> > swap, /var and data/home-dirs.  My logic is that if you get a bad sector
> > somewhere, it doesn't degrade every filesystem on the disk (as it would
> > if you have all your partitions on a single raid mirror) and just
> > degrades the filesystem on the partition that has the bad sector.
>
> Do you have a way to replace the disk with the bad sector without
> degrading the rest of the filesystems?
>
> Or is this just a performance gain for the period of time leading up to
> when you replace the disk?

I don't do this for performance, but for safety.  It means that the
other filesystems are still fully mirrored until I can swap in a new
disk.  I figure there's no point in degrading all filesystems on a
disk if you only have a single disk error.

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/