Subject: Re: Netbsd livecd question
To: George N <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org, haidut@hotmail.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubertf@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/18/2006 22:01:32
In article <BAY111-F12213A1AE40CC6F4149F71CA1D0@phx.gbl> you wrote:
> I am trying to create NetBSD live cd and I am having a problem - when my CD
> boots at some point it says "write failed. filesystem is full..."
> I read on some forums that this is due to insufficient space allocated to
> the filesystem and the suggestion was to increase the filesystem size.
> Can you please tell me which filesystem I need to change and how to actually
> do that? Do I need to change the mklivecd.conf file or something else?
> I saw that the mklivecd.conf contains some options for filesystems:
> MNT_DEV_ARGS="-o noatime -s 512k -i 64"
> MNT_ETC_ARGS="-o noatime -s -2m"
> ...and so on

I guess those MNT_*_ARGS are for mount_mfs(8), maybe read that manpage for
the meaning of the flags.

To solve your problem of the full filesystem, you first of all need to
know which filesystem gets filled. Running "df" when it's full will tell y
you. :)

> Is this what I need to change? What values did you use that worked? My
> "livecd" folder that contains the working data for the live CD is around
> 650MB, so I guess the proposed filesystem size configuration that was
> mention in the forums depends on that but I don't know how.
> And one last question. As you know there are several Linux live CDs out
> there. All of them seem to support some kind of compressed filesystem
> (unionfs, squashfs, etc) so that a CD ISO image file of size X usually holds
> inside data and software of size 3*X or even more. I made a Linux live CD
> and the iso file is 200MB but when it boots and uncompresses in memory it
> expands to over 600MB and contains a lot of software. It looks like NetBSD
> doesn't support that. If my filesystem for the live CD is 700MB then the ISO
> file is also around 700MB. Is there an option in NetBSD kernel or mklivecd
> to enable compression? Please provide specific information if possible. I am
> new to NetBSD.

Yes, NetBSD 3.0 has support for compressed VND images - they work exactly
the same way as e.g. in Knoppix on Linux or Freesbie on FreeBSD.
The kernel needs to have support enabled via the VND_COMPRESSION kernel
option (see options(4)). After that, you can create a disk image using
vnd(4), and then compress that image with vndcompress(1), put it on the
CD, configure it with vnconfig(8)'s -z option, then mount as usual.
You can use UFS or CD9660 as filesystem, your choice, vnd(4) won't care.

The vndcompress(1) manpage has a few examples.

IIRC the mklivecd package already has some support for this, btw, but I've
never used that package.

Good luck!

 - Hubert