Subject: Netbsd livecd question
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: George N <haidut@hotmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/17/2006 23:05:55
Hello everybody,

I am trying to create NetBSD live cd and I am having a problem - when my CD
boots at some point it says "write failed. filesystem is full..."
I read on some forums that this is due to insufficient space allocated to
the filesystem and the suggestion was to increase the filesystem size.
Can you please tell me which filesystem I need to change and how to actually
do that? Do I need to change the mklivecd.conf file or something else?
I saw that the mklivecd.conf contains some options for filesystems:
MNT_DEV_ARGS="-o noatime -s 512k -i 64"
MNT_ETC_ARGS="-o noatime -s -2m"
...and so on

Is this what I need to change? What values did you use that worked? My
"livecd" folder that contains the working data for the live CD is around
650MB, so I guess the proposed filesystem size configuration that was
mention in the forums depends on that but I don't know how.
And one last question. As you know there are several Linux live CDs out
there. All of them seem to support some kind of compressed filesystem
(unionfs, squashfs, etc) so that a CD ISO image file of size X usually holds
inside data and software of size 3*X or even more. I made a Linux live CD
and the iso file is 200MB but when it boots and uncompresses in memory it
expands to over 600MB and contains a lot of software. It looks like NetBSD
doesn't support that. If my filesystem for the live CD is 700MB then the ISO
file is also around 700MB. Is there an option in NetBSD kernel or mklivecd
to enable compression? Please provide specific information if possible. I am
new to NetBSD.
Thanks for your help.

best,
Haidut