Subject: Re: Curses and function-keys
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/15/2006 00:36:42
On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 10:38:52AM +0000, Julian Coleman wrote:

> That's correct.  In the curses key input initialisation [*], the key entries
> from the termcap database are read in.  If the key definition for a key
> isn't present in the termcap entry for a terminal type, then the code won't
> recognise the key.

I've read the article
http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/March2002/article233.shtml recently, and
compiled the example program described there. I noticed, that under Linux
control, in 3 different terminals ("linux", "xterm", "eterm") the "example"
program is working OK.

Unfortunately, under control of NetBSD it's working properly only in case,
when "screen" has been run earlier; neither in default vt100 nor in xterm
window it isn't working OK - there are no colours, and the keys aren't
properly recognized.

I understand, it's because the program doesn't make any use out of termcap
(am I right?) - but I made an assumption, that it's ncurses' task (thought,
it's kind of "higher level layer"...), which seem not to be the case.

Could you make a tip, how this program should be changed, to make it
"terminal-independent"?
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski