Subject: Re: hard disk problem
To: Paulo Aukar <ptaaukar@terra.com.br>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/12/2006 20:23:34
On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 11:22:27PM -0200, Paulo Aukar wrote:
> Hellow Friends,
>  I'm trying to install NetBSD on an old laptop Compaq 1220 (chip Cyrix MMX 200). No problem with the installation (of a release 1.6.1) but when the machine first start I receive the following message:
>  /dev/rdw0a: BAD SUPERBLOCK: VALUES SUPERBLOCK DISAGREE WITH THOSE IN FIRST ALTERNATE
>  RUN fsck_ffs MANUALLY
>  I know the disk insn't original and was changed recently (it also isn't a new one).
>  I'd like to understand what is going on. am I losing my disk?
>  Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.
>  Paulo

Possibly you've managed to get overlapping partitions.
Either that or netbsd just doesn't like writing to the disk,
or maybe the system powered off before the last write finished.

The main superblock is 8k down the partition (size 8k) and the first
alternate folows it immediately.

However I'd actually suggest trying to install a newer version.
Sysinst in netbsd 2.1 and 3.0 is a lot less user hostile.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk