Subject: Re: Xorg vs XFree86
To: Onno Ebbinge <onno.ebbinge@gmail.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/10/2006 00:05:10
In message <75ff70b0601090300y17ffb710i7929087d14ee8a60@mail.gmail.com>, Onno E
bbinge writes:
>Would you share your experiences? A small list of pitfalls (or
>checklist) would be nice :-)

Good idea.  I suspect that many of the problems could be avoided if I
were to symlink /usr/X11R6 to /usr/pkg/xorg, but that's a bad idea --
I'm using xorg on -current machines, and often the upgrade process
creates a new, minimally populated, /usr/X11R6, even if MKX11=NO is set.

In /etc/ssh/ssh_config and /etc/ssh/sshd_config, I had to set

	XAuthLocation   /usr/pkg/xorg/bin/xauth

Acroread and other Linux emulation programs don't find xorg fonts.  I
had to edit /usr/pkg/emul/linux/etc/fonts/local.conf and add

	<dir>/usr/pkg/xorg/lib/X11/fonts</dir>
	<dir>/usr/pkg/lib/X11/fonts</dir>

right after the <fontconfig> line, then run

	/usr/pkg/emul/linux/usr/bin/fc-cache

Those two entries fixed acroread and firefox-bin.

Of course, I had to change my default $PATH setting.

Some situations are not properly tested with xorg.  The other day, for
example, pkgsrc/x11/openmotif wouldn't build on xorg systems but would
on XFree86 machines.  One can't, of course, expect people to test every
such combination, but it's another example of having to do a bit more.

I seem to recall one other problem, but I can't recall what it was.