Subject: Re: FFS slowness
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Ivan Kanis <cake@tadpolecomputer.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/09/2006 11:25:02
Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> writes:

> That's hardly surprising, considering you're copying from one disk to
> itself.  The big file will be laid out in large, sequential pieces on
> the disk; the kernel will buffer the writes and flush them out in a
> fairly efficient way between the reads.

Thanks for your explanations, I have created a memory filesystem and
done the same benchmark copying from the hard disk to the memory. The
read perfomance is much better. Sorry I can't quote the number I did
it last year and can't remember :)
--
Ivan Kanis
Senior Software Developer

  "A little detective work revealed that, as is usually the case when
you encounter something shoddy in the vicinity of a computer, Microsoft
incompetence and gratuitous incompatibility were to blame."
    -- John Walker