Subject: Re: User that I didn't add appearing on NetBSD system
To: Eric <kellybelly@gwi.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/05/2006 12:01:40
>> On 5-Jan-06, at 4:13 AM, Eric wrote:
>>> haven't added any other users to the system.  Cyrus' "Full Name"
>>> according to kusers begins with instmp.  Is this a user needed for

To answer why the gecos field begins with "instmp" .. this is caused by
having wrong version of pkg_install tools versus updates in the
pkgsrc/mk/install framework (which causes other problems too).

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2005/02/11/0037.html
  http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=30347

The pkg_install included with 2.0.2 was (is?) broken. (Other versions may
be broken too, I didn't check.)

I assume this cyrus user was added earlier in 2005. And maybe you don't
have the pkg_install problem anymore.

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> Perhaps packages that add userids should indicate that in the gecos
> field:
>
> 	cyrus:*:1003:6:cyrus-sasl cyrus user,pkg-imapd:/nonexistent:/bin/sh

It seems like it used to do that, since the initial posting indicated
"instmp" (which was an error) which was supposed to be the PKGNAME. ...
Looking closer ... some versions of +INSTALL would set the gecos ("descr")
field to the PKGNAME if it was not already set.

Maybe it should always prefix the gecos with it? Or maybe all pkgsrc
packages that have a gecos defined should add ${PKGBASE}.

Here is a broken example just like Eric has:

/var/db/pkg/cyrus-sasl-2.1.20nb1/+INSTALL has:
# USER: cyrus:mail::::/bin/sh

It was installed on Apr. 6, 2005 and packaged on DATE=Thu Apr  7 01:49:47

(My custom pkgsrc records the build date and time. The date is backwords
because of missing /etc/localtime on build system.)

My passwd file has:

cyrus:x:1000:1000:instmp.5qI6i0 cyrus user:/nonexistent:/bin/sh

That really should be "cyrus-sasl cyrus user".

(Other ideas, I hope, will be discussed here soon. Hint...)

  Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/