Subject: "Device not configured" (2 times) problem
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/04/2006 20:02:59
Hallo,

NetBSD 3.0, PII-400, PC-Chips M729 motherboard

Got a problem with my soundcard (Gravis Ultrasound PnP) and TV-grabber (Aver
WebTV-Phone 98). As you can see, the equipment is somewhat old, and the
drivers for that devices are available since a long time.

I cannot make any use neither from soundcard, nor from TV-grabber. "dmesg"
reports:

===============================
bktr0 at pci0 dev 20 function 0
bktr0: interrupting at irq 10
bktr0: AVer Media TV/FM, Philips FR1216 PAL FM tuner.
radio0 at bktr0
Brooktree Bt878 Video Capture (Audio Section) (miscellaneous multimedia,
revision 0x02) at pci0 dev 20 function 1 not configured
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[..]
isapnp0: read port 0x203
isapnp0: No current device for tag, card 1
guspnp0 at isapnp0 port 0x220/16,0x320/8,0x32c/4 irq 11 drq 5,7
guspnp0: UltraSound Plug & Play Synth & Codec
guspnp0: bank[0]: 256K, bank[1]: 256K, bank[2]: 1024K, bank[3]: 1024K
guspnp0: interwave version 1.26
audio0 at guspnp0: full duplex, mmap
isapnp0: <UltraSound Plug & Play, GRV0011, , Disabled Device> not configured
                                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
joy0 at isapnp0 port 0x201/1
joy0: UltraSound Plug & Play Game Port
joy0: joystick not connected
isapnp0: <UltraSound Plug & Play, GRV0003, , SB Compatible A> port 0x388/2
irq 5 drq 1 not configured
isapnp0: <UltraSound Plug & Play, GRV0004, , MPU-401 GM Musi> port 0x330/2
not configured
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Related kernel-configuration section are set as you can see below:

# ISA Plug-and-Play bus support
isapnp0 at isa?
[..]
# ISA Plug-and-Play audio devices
guspnp* at isapnp?                      # Gravis Ultra Sound PnP audio
[..]
# Audio support
#audio* at audiobus?
audio*  at guspnp?
[..]
# Brooktree 848/849/878/879 based TV cards
bktr* at pci? dev ? function ?
radio* at bktr?

In the FAQ I've found an explanation:

http://netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/#device-not-configured

 * If  this  message  appears  during the autoconfiguration output of
   system  boot,  it  means  that  the  kernel  discovered a piece of
   hardware  in your system that it doesn't have a device driver for.
   This  means  that either the device driver exists and has not been
   compiled  into the kernel you booted, or the device driver doesn't
   exist  at  all [..]

But the device drivers are existing, and are compiled into the kernel. So,
what do I have to do, to properly configure that still "not configured"
devices? Any tip?

Currently when I'm trying to access audio device, it results in system
crash, and I'm landing in the debugger command line. XAwtv shows the black
background, instead of TV.

Both devices are working without any problem, when I boot Linux (on the same
machine).
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski