Subject: Re: pxe installer?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/29/2005 11:46:20
On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 11:27:28AM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
>Is there an established way to do PXE 3.0 installs?
>
>I'm thinking about making these machines diskless, but the $WORK
>plan is use the installed hd, but there is no cdrom.
>
>Opening them, to temp use a cdrom drive for the install, is an
>option but I would prefer not doing that for every install.
>
>PXE env + ssh for a remote start of the installer would be ideal.
>I think dflybsd supports this through bsdinstaller.org. what's
>the status for netbsd? are the parts portable enough to make this
>"straightforward" to deploy or would extraction and re-development
>be required?

well I found this http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-install/2005/07/24/0002.html
which says

  Have you tried the INSTALL kernel?  It includes an
  md(4) root image and boots into sysinst.

Which led me to find
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/local.install.html
Netbooting to install to a local hard drive

...Maybe that will work :)

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@galis.org