Subject: Re: Looking for 'quiet' server
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/26/2005 10:51:49
On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 06:27:25AM -0500, Mark Thomas wrote:
>I am wondering if any of you guys can recommend a quiet ( low noise )
>rack mounted server. I'm upgrading my home network and I'm looking for
>something that is fairly quite. I would like a 1U setup with at least
>a xeon 2 and 2GB of ram. The IBM Xseries 336 looks promising! Sorry
>but I have little experience in the way rack mounted setups, the
>couple that I have seen were rather loud.

have a look at http://www.endpcnoise.com I've heard
about dramatic noise improvements after replacing
fans on valinux rack systems. my understanding is
they reduce noise by blade design not throughput...
they have been around a while.

Antec makes silent rackmount cases,
http://www.antec.com/us/pro_rackmounts.html
apparently designed for the audio recording
industury. Don't know anyone who has used them.

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@galis.org