Subject: Re: Looking for 'quiet' server
To: Stephen Borrill <>
From: Quentin Garnier <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/26/2005 12:00:43

On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 10:45:05AM +0000, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Dec 2005, Mark Thomas wrote:
> >I am wondering if any of you guys can recommend a quiet ( low noise )
> >rack mounted server. I'm upgrading my home network and I'm looking for
> >something that is fairly quite. I would like a 1U setup with at least
> >a xeon 2 and 2GB of ram. The IBM Xseries 336 looks promising! Sorry
> >but I have little experience in the way rack mounted setups, the
> >couple that I have seen were rather loud.
> The x336 is pretty loud; they've a big rack of fans behind the drive bays=
> and another rack near the processors. They're great servers though, but=
> ensure you have suitable drivers for the on-board SCSI. Last time I=20
> checked it was unsupported. The x306 is very nice too, we use those a lot=
> in the S-ATA variant, but they are only P4.

mpt0 at pci3 dev 1 function 0: LSI Logic 53c1030 Ultra320 SCSI
mpt0: interrupting at ioapic1 pin 4 (irq 11)
scsibus0 at mpt0: 16 targets, 8 luns per target

It's a 3.99.11 GENERIC kernel, though.  I'm not sure about 3.0, but I
can try easily enough.

The whole box has 11 fans, plus one for the PSU (it has only one PSU
installed).  It is very noisy when it is busy, and it's already barely
bearable when it's idle (to my ears, at least).

Quentin Garnier - -

Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (NetBSD)