Subject: Network card problem ( Repotec RP-1624WK = RTL 8139D)
To: NetBSD netbsd-users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Adrian Maier <adrian.maier@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/08/2005 10:51:30
Hello,

I have installed NetBSD 3.0 (rc5) on a computer that i wish to
configure as a router
(so that the other machines in the local net have Internet access,  too).

The computer has two ethernet cards :
-  fxp0 , connected to the modem (cableTv), configured with DHCP.  Works fi=
ne.
-  rtk0 ,  connected to the local network. I have problems with this one.

I have connected the  rtk0  to another machine (linux) directly using
a cross-over
cable, but the connection is not working :
- the ethernet adapters' leds are not blinking when I ping
- ping doesn't work

I'm not sure where the problem is:
1. Is it possible for this card to be unsupported even if  it appears
as "rtk0" ?
    The card is a Repotec RP-1624WK  with a realtek  RTL 8139D  chipset.

2. Maybe I am not configuring something properly.

   Do I need to issue other commands  except from the following line ?
       ifconfig rtk0   inet  192.168.0.1   netmask  255.255.255.0

   I have seen in the rtk(4) man page that "Configuration of PHYs are
necessary.  See mii(4)" .  What does this mean ?

   In rc.conf I have :
       dhclient=3DYES
       dhclient_flags=3D"fxp0"
       auto_ifconfig=3DNO
       net_interfaces=3D"rtk0"
       ifconfig_rtk0=3D"inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00"
  Does this seem ok to you ?

3. I have verified that the ethernet adapter is ok,  on another
computer with both
  WinXP and Linux ( that detected it as RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 16) ).

4. I'll need to make sure that the cable is ok.

Thank you for any tip,
Adrian Maier