Subject: Re: updated from 1.6.x to 3.0rc5 - pkgsrc question
To: Carl Brewer <carl@bl.echidna.id.au>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/06/2005 09:00:18
On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 12:18:11PM +1100, Carl Brewer wrote:
> I updated a few NBSD boxes from 1.6.2 to 3.0rc5 on the w'end, and was
> pleasantly suprised to see that my pkgsrc apps just work.  Nice ...
>
> But, I'm concerned a little - 1.6 had to use the pkgsrc pkg "pth" for
> threads for a number of packages, and 2.0+ all have pthreads as core OS
> stuff.
>
> I guess I can go ldd'ing around my binaries to see what they're linking
> against, but is it a good idea to recompile all the apps so they link
> against the OS thread libraries rather than the pkgsrc ones?

NetBSD's compat should normally take care of this.  Any of your older
packages will still run fine (don't remove the pth package!), but any newly
compiled package will be native to NetBSD 3.0 and hence use its native
pthreads.

I'm running a 2.1->3.0 converted machine and have no idea exactly which
packages have been recompiled since then, but I haven't had problems.

Just don't remove packages that are still +REQUIRED_BY others (like pth),
and keep the COMPAT stuff in your kernel config.

	Geert