Subject: Re: UPnP Support?
To: Jorgen Lundman <lundman@lundman.net>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/01/2005 07:51:57
On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Jorgen Lundman wrote:
> Christopher W. Richardson wrote:
>> Hi,
>> 	1) What sort of device do I need to get, which is
>>            preferrably small (I'm not looking for a stereo
>>            component, and certainly not for a PC), supports
>>            802.11, has the appropriate ports to connect to (at
>>            least) a stereo and ideally to video, and to which I
>>            can stream such data?
>
> Can't really help you there. I have a Buffalo Linktheater networked
> DVDPlayer, which isn't small.

Net necessary exactly what you want, but there's probably some mileage in
looking at an embedded device running vlc. Get a micro ATX board and run
NetBSD from flash. Get multimedia/vlc and run it with vlc -f udp://. It'll
then just sit there waiting for data to be sent to it. For further
excitement it has a telnet interface which you can use for remote control.

>>         2) For what should I be searching in pkgsrc to stream to
>>            whatever the answer to question #1 is?

multimedia/vlc again. You can stream pretty much anything at such a
client using vlc. You can also transcode to alter bandwidth, scale,
etc. For example (all on one line):
vlc -vvv dvdsimple:///dev/cd0a@2:2 --loop --sout
"#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,scale=0.75,vb=768}:standard{access=udp,mux-ts,url=192.168.1.15}"

This will play title 2, chapter 2 of a DVD continually with a video
bandwidth of 768mps and at three-quarter size to 192.168.1.15

--
Stephen