Subject: Re: dialy insecurity output message
To: Water NB <netbsd78@126.com>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/25/2005 09:07:14
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005, Water NB wrote:

> dialy insecurity output message as below:
> Checking special files and directories.
> var/log/lastlog:
> gid (45, 0)
> var/log/wtmpx:
> gid (45, 0)
> var/log/wtmp:
> gid (45, 0)
> var/log/lastlogx:
> gid (45, 0)
>
> what it means?
> My system is : NetBSD 3.0_RC3 x86

The gid (45, 0) lines mean the group ownership should be 45 (utmp), but is
actually 0 (wheel). On a freshly installed 3.0_RC3 system these files are
owned by root:utmp. However, I've just noticed that on my running 3.0_BETA
box they are root:wheel (except for lastlog). This change is down revision
1.306.2.8 of /etc/Makefile committed just prior to 3.0_RC1.

My guess is that you've upgraded this box from 3.0_BETA or earlier.

You can change the ownership with, for example:
chown root:utmp /var/log/lastlog

--
Stephen