Subject: NetBSD-3, mplayer, cdda
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: David Howland <metalliqaz@fastmail.fm>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/21/2005 13:36:47
I'm trying to play an audio CD using mplayer.  I'm using NetBSD-3.0_RC1.
It doesn't work at all.  For instance:

$ mplayer cdda://
Playing cdda://.
Can't open cdda device
Failed to open cdda://

I've tried all sorts of different commands, all with the same result

$ mplayer cdda://1
$ mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/cd0a cdda://
$ mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/rcd0a cdda://
$ mplayer -cdda generic-dev=/dev/cd0a cdda://

you get the idea.  The permissions on /dev/cd0a are a+rw.  And I have no
problems playing a DVD when a movie is in that drive.
I tried making a symlink /dev/cdrom -> /dev/cd0a, that didn't help.

$ pkg_info |grep mplayer
mplayer-1.0rc7nb4   Software-only MPEG-1/2/4 video decoder

Can anyone get this to work?  I'm starting to think theres a problem
with NetBSD-3 and cdda.

-d